Friday, September 7, 2012

Inaugural Lewis Camping Trip

We've actually been camping many times as a family, but this was our first long camp out that we instigated and it felt like a first.  We had SUCH a great time.  We were sad to come home.  Scott especially.  I wish I had a picture, but when we told Scott we were going home that day, he cried and cried.  He wants to live in the mountains.  

We also learned going camping after Labor Day is interesting--we were the only ones in the whole campsite.  It was kind of fun because we got to see some wildlife that we might not have gotten to otherwise.  Nights were a little spooky, but nothing we couldn't handle!

The first day, we went up to Silver Lake and hiked up to Solitude Lake.  This was a 1.25 mile hike each way and the kids walked the whole time.  It was pretty steep at points and I was getting tired myself.  We were so impressed with the kids, they were such great hikers, I still can't believe they hiked that whole way!  

 When we got to Solitude Lake, we broke out a little snack for the kids.  The chipmunks were not shy up there!  We even found a little beehive under a rock. (Austin, Scott, Kate)
 Kate took a picture of us
 Austin, Scott


 Austin
 Scott
 We also did this little activity--threading candy necklaces.  It took a while, but the kids enjoyed them.
 We also had some visitors come up one night--Jeff's parents, brothers, and a couple of their kids.  It was fun having some company come up for the night!
 Austin fishing

 Scott
 Scott, Grandma Lewis, Austin
 Kate stayed up late and was pretty tired by bed time!
 We made some really yummy food.  We made pancakes one morning and Jeff made some YUMMY cheese/ham/pepper omelettes (I think those are Denver omelettes).  They were delicious.
 The kids trying to warm up by the fire in the morning, sipping their hot chocolate.
 Scott and Kate
 Austin
We had such a great time.  The kids are such good little campers.  Kate and Scott didn't wake up once during the nights, and Austin just did when he was thirsty.  They loved riding their bikes all over the campground, playing with their shovels and trucks, eating lots of treats and just getting dirty.  Can't wait til the next one!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

So fun!!!! Maybe we'll have to join you next year, that looks like a total blast!!!

Angie said...

So I just realized your posts weren't showing up on my update! I had so much to catch up on. It was fun to see all your pics and read your updates!!!

MaLewis said...

I think you've started something here! Late summer camping! So fun how the kids have become the super-campers!

staci baker said...

I have completely fallen off the blog bandwagon and need to get back on!!! My mom told me that you had some really cute posts and that I needed to check. I haven't been on blogger in months, but I came to check it out. What fun pictures! You guys sure had a happenin' summer! What fun! Camping, the beach, a wedding....Those kids are adorable. I love that they love to camp. Hearing about little camping outing with grandma/grandpa/cousins makes me sad that I don't live closer to join in on the fun! And that little Kate going to school--how did she get that big?! When I looked at the pictures I thought, "What a beautiful little girl she is!" And her mother sure knows how to do her hair cute. Anyway, fun pictures! It's fun to see what you've been up to!

Meghan said...

I loved the update! Your kids are tough and adventurous, just like their parents!