Saturday, January 31, 2009

Scott and Austin

Well, we have had an interesting past month! It kind of started before Christmas. Right before we went down to California, I had a doctor's appointment and my cervix was starting to thin, but my doctor thought I was still fine to go down as long as I took it easy.

When we got back, I had another appointment and my cervix was measuring short again so they had another appointment in a few days. They did a test that predicted that I would go into labor in a few weeks that came back positive (meaning I was at risk to go into labor in the next few weeks.) So, they told me to take it even easier--no house work (dangit) and just very easy.

Well, later that week, I was in labor and delivery, and by that point, I was 70-80% effaced and dilated to a 1 1/2. After that, I was on full bed rest.

The next week at my appointment, I was effaced to 80% and dilated to a 3. I was supposed to come back in two days and if I was dilated more, they were just going to admit me to the hospital. I came back two days later, and I was dilated to a 4+ so they admitted me. (With Kate I was dilated to a 5 before I went into labor, so we were hopeful I could last a little longer)

I was in the hospital 6 days and then I went into labor. I was sent down to labor and delivery and they tried to stop me. They slowed down the contractions, and sent me back upstairs. Then the contractions picked up again and they sent me back to labor and delivery and just let me go.

After that, I quickly dilated, they sent me into the delivery room and both babies came out at surprisingly good weights! One was 4, the other 3lb 7oz. We were pretty excited about that!

I am recovering really well, I have been home since Thursday and it is so nice to be home and be able to be with my family again and walk around. The babies are doing really well in the NICU. They are both off oxygen, one was on a low dose for under 24 hours, but now they are both off. They are handling food well and continue to increase the amount they can handle. We just think they are the sweetest little boys. They are so precious and are so tiny it is hard to believe. We get to hold them once a day for an hour each and it is so great. They are just such sweet boys!

We also want to say thanks for all of the prayers and support through the last little while. We have felt them so much. We feel so blessed how everything went, while not ideal, it just went so great. I usually am not spiritual on the blog, but I do want to say I know our Heavenly Father knows each of us and helps us. We feel so blessed and are so grateful for our precious boys.

Also, in other news, I won that stroller! I can't believe it! I am really excited about it! Thanks Sara for letting me know about it! I guess we will have to wait and see until it gets here, but they let us know we won yesterday and I am just very excited! (Refer to the post 2 down)

Getting ready to go into the operating room. They took me in there because it is right by the NICU so they could pass the boys right through the window. I personally wish Jeff would wear this all the time!

I am pretty sure this is Scott, he wasn't as red.And Austin, he had some lungs, what a good boy!
Me and Kate after. I don't know how some girls look so good after delivery, and sadly I am not one of them. I have other strengths...
This is before they were named (which was earlier today). We wanted to be able to tell them apart, so this is Scott.

And Austin. They both love their binkys.

There will be more pictures to come...

20 comments:

Raquel said...

CONGRATS!!! they look so sweet. So they will prob be in the nicu about 5-6 weeks right? you made it about a week longer than me. thats great! so did they do a c-section on you? If you need anything just let me know seriously!! i'd love to help. if you ever get time this parenting site has some great help. a few of the twi mamma's really helped me through it! http://www.chatterscene.com/csboards/register.php?referrerid=72
you can email me instead of posting to my blog raquellandon@gmail.com

Jewels said...

Congrats again! I'm so glad you and the boys are doing well!

Meghan said...

I just want you to know I have cried through each post that you have posted since they were born. I am so happy everything went well! Thanks for posting pictures...I think they look like Kate when she was a newborn.The eyes especially. I want you to know I have been prayer for you guys! I know Heavenly Father is watching over you guys too. I am so proud of you Julie and what a trooper you are! And I am so happy you won the stroller you lucky duck! I'll call you in the next couple of weeks. Once things have calmed down a bit. Love you guys!

Melissa said...

I LOVE them already! They are so precious. I love the name choices, how cute! They are gunna be studs. I'm so glad they don't need oxygen anymore. That must be so hard going back and forth to the hospital, you are amazing! I wish I could be there to help! You are such a good mom, I base pretty much everything I do with TEagan off of what you do with Kate. Thanks for being a good example!

Melissa said...

Oh, and I CAN NOT believe how huge that binkie looks. That just shows how tiny those boys are. That is just crazy to me, I want to hold them!

Valery said...

Julie, they are darling! I'm so glad everything went well and how well they are doing. I'm excited for you!
Please let me know if you need anything!!

staci baker said...

Thanks for posting this! I've kept checking it because I've wanted to see my nephews! So cute! I love the names, too. We almost named Peyton Austin but thought Drostan and Austin sounded too much alike. I just can't wait to meet them when we come home in May. I want to help you with Kate a bunch. I wish I was there now to help, but it looks like you'll have plenty of offers. I'm glad your mom was there for the weekend, and I'm still so glad the boys are doing so well! Take it easy and keep the pictures coming! Congrats, you guys! (Oh, and I'm also one of those who doesn't look good after labor. But you look great!)

Brenda said...

Congratulations Jeff, Julie, and Kate! How exciting to have new babies!! Take it easy and enjoy!

Nate and Marcie said...

They are so cute! I am so glad to hear they are both off of oxygen and eating well! And I love the names. Nate and I think they definitely look identical. So cute!
Congratulations on the cute stroller, that is so awesome, you totally deserve it!

Rachel said...

wow- i am glad you are all doing great. they are cute and healthy-- yeah. and congrats on the stroller you must have good luck, good luck with everything (and yeah to not be pregnant any more)

Sara said...

Oh Julie...they are just so precious. I'm so glad they (and you) are doing so well. Wow, momma of three...you'll be great!

Brian and Elise said...

Julie, they are beautiful! Congratulations and please let us know if you need anything!

Jessica said...

First of ALL - way to go on the stroller! You better play the lottery!
Such cute boys. I hope they get to come home soon!

BECKY said...

Congrats on EVERYTHING! I can't wait to see how they look as they grow... identical twins! :) Tell us how you tell them apart besides the redness! Good solid names too! Congrats on the stroller... you'll look fab runnning that around the block!
If you have a chance tell us about why they put the babies like that with the towels holding them in tight and stuff.

Love you guys so much. I am just so relieved that they were so big.

BECKY said...

P.S. Jeff DOES look hot in that outfit.

Brooke said...

Glad they are here! They are perfect and beautiful! I see a little bit of Kate-ness in both of them! I am so jealous you get twinies! I want some so bad! You will be the perfect twin parents! Twins only get to come down to special families, I think. I would know!

daegan said...

high 5 woman! good job! thanks for sharing all the news! i'm so happy for you! you are amazing! what lucky boys...

AmyB said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for that everything turned out okay. The boys are so cute! We love the name Austin! Scott is very cute too but obviously we have an affinity to Austin! We hope to see you this summer and get to hug and kiss those sweet little boys. We will be there at the end of June.

Rebecca said...

Yay!!! Congratulations. That is exactly when I had my girls, and they were there for just about 5 weeks. Your boys are precious and you did great! You grew them nice and big for that early. :)

I know it's hard to tell those newborn pictures apart--just a tip for you--I always tried to take a picture of the whole crib/isolation unit each day because usually their blankets were different or something, so the whole big picture would have their name or baby a/b, and then I could reference that when I looked at the closeups to tell who was who. Does that make sense?

I know it's hard to get to the NICU and manage home and your little girl, so BIG HUGS and GOOD LUCK to you!!! :) Get lots of rest, accept all the help that is offered, and you'll have them home in no time at all.

Oh, and you can leave little cameras at the hospital if you want the nurses to take your babies' pictures when they do cute stuff. And if you're at the U make sure you find out about their primary nurses thing--you can choose your favorite nurses to be your babies' main caretakers. It's so nice to see familiar faces when you go in!

Okay--novel over--congrats again and good luck to you all!!! :):)

Tanya said...

Congrats on the new babies, they are so adorable and tiny! I am sure they will be able to come home early! Kyle can't wait to meet his new little cousins!

Also, my heart just goes out to you having to be on bed rest with a two year old, that wouldn't fly with Kyle at all!