Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Great Expectations and more



I've been trying to branch out and really challenge myself. It took me a couple of weeks to start Great Expectations. I just finished reading the Twilight series again and the contrast between the margins and font size is HILARIOUS! I was really intimidated, but I LOVED it! Now I know why it is a classic. I felt like I learned and benefited from the book. It was a little bit hard to get into at first, but the story is so good and has lots of twists and turns, I'm not going to give anything away, but I would highly suggest this book. It's one I want on my shelf.



I had a good friend tell me about this book when I was on bed rest with the boys, but I had them before I got around to reading it. I finally read it and LOVED it. I am really into Jane Austen, but one thing I always have wondered about is what they did--especially the guys. I'm starting to think that the "gentlemen" in the country really didn't do much. In the north, they were busy manufacturing towns. This book kind of brought the two together. It was such an enjoyable story, sad, but really good. Definitely want this one too!



This movie was so true to the book. The two leads were really good and knew their characters well. This movie is also one I want to add to my collection. (I put this so you know how much I really like it).

If you have any book suggestions (or movie suggestions), I would LOVE them!

4 comments:

AmyB said...

I will have to try one of those out although I am not sure where you are finding the time to read! We will be out there next summer and would love to see you!

BECKY said...

I love Pip. :)

Beth said...

I remember loving Great Expectations but can't remember what the story was. I read tons of classics while in high school and also loved science fiction. Have you read "Dune". I remember LOVING that book. I recently went to the Alta Library and that was one of the 4 books in Science Fiction that they had. Also anything by Isaac Asimov, like the Foundation Series. You can look through my Charles Dicken's collection when you are here to see if you would like anything else of his: Oliver Twist, maybe?

Unknown said...

Have you watched Cranford or Wives and Daughters (other Gaskell adaptations)? I think they are both great. If you'd like to borrow either movie, let me know.